Oh boy. I was told to check out one of the mods of shitrichcollegekids say (specifically, queercomrade) and oh boy.
I’m going to do my best here.
1. “Not a choice” is an appeal to…. the cisheteropatriarchy? I’m sorry, but what? Let us forge ahead.
2. Ah. See, it’s a way of explaining that we exist and that we didn’t choose to be gay, we didn’t choose to be trans, it’s just something we’re inborn with, like brown eyes or blue. This statement is as inherently nonsensical as saying “saying you were born colorblind implies that being colorblind is a lesser way of existence”. It’s a neutral statement of fact, not a judgement. Hello my name is Sausage I was born gay and just a touch under five pounds. You’re going to need to explain why someone saying they were born this way is an apology.
3. Again with the people using liberal as a pejorative. My gosh. No one is able to explain why it is, since “liberal” is a massive political umbrella under which a lot of mindsets fall, some more or less radical than others.
4. Saying you were born this way only encourages… assimilation? I- what? How? If you’re going to make that claim, back it up. Also, back up why someone assimilating is a bad thing. (Not being forced to, mind, someone like me who chooses to just be quiet and maybe marry and not be Queer and Here but just kind of live a boring life.)
5. We agree it’s not a lesser way of living.
6. Oh. Oh nonconformance. Oh. So they think that being trans or queer is about being a ~nonconformist~. So, once again, we’re in the trap of LGBT=emos, Cishets=preps.
So all in all they seem to truly believe being LGBT is a choice, and a radical nonconformist one at that, instead of a neutral inborn trait. Beyond that, they have no evidence nor logic to back up their claims.
Seriously, explain things, don’t expect people to simply parrot something you said to them.
"It’s a choice to be LGBT, why can’t you just be normal?" Claiming that it is a choice and that it is nonconformist/radical is essentially giving credit to that statement and validating it as a True Thing to say, as opposed to nonsensical b.s. spouted at me.
So, to the person who asked me to check them out: there you go, there’s a few thoughts. I’m not really going to engage them in any sort of discussion because based on previous experiences with this sort of radical queer theorist, it never goes well and I need to just break out the SRAs.
Tagging and bracing for impact. I’ve already said the URL in the post so it’s already in the tag so may as well archive this.
Dude I’ve had to hide so many people on Facebook for posting “gay is a choice” bullshit, it’s not even funny. Queer is a choice because that’s a political label. Gay/straight/bi/ace are not choices, those are neutral, amoral biological variations within the population. Biology is not a conspiracy, I promise.